Monday, November 3, 2014

Review: Blurring the Lines by SA Payne

Genre: Supernatural, futuristic, mystery
Elements: vampire-like and succubus-like humans, BDSM

Rating:
  • Characters - 4 - A great mix of characters from all sorts of backgrounds in this world.
  • Setting - 4 - The story's setting is a fascinating idea of a genetic mutation gone horribly wrong. This world is the far-future aftermath, where those descended from those who survived are just being allowed to interact with those who managed to avoid the mutation.
  • Plot - 5 - Very well woven, and utterly fascinating. A great mix of light sci-fi and mystery and romance that will keep you reading to the end.
  • Genre Elements - 5 - The I/S that Payne has invented are a fascinating culture, and I would love to read more about them. They feel real and not fantastical at all, and make me want to know more. Some of the elements do seem a little ridiculous until they are explained, though.
  • Voice - 5 - Perfect. Though she switches constantly between the two main characters, never once do you mistake one for the other when they are the one telling the tale.
  • Romance Elements - 4 - The two get together a little too easily for my tastes, though their separate pasts do make things difficult for quite some time even after they admit their feelings. I definitely think the romance works well for this story.
  • Overall - 4.5 - This really is a fascinating story with a few odd choices and a few grammar and spelling flaws, but the story is so interesting that it is very easy to overlook them. Well worth reading.
Basic story -
Mick used to be a cop, but then was kicked off the force due to a false accusation. He ends up becoming the bodyguard of the son of one of the richest men in town. Toshi doesn't like having people around. He's a recovering addict and half I/S, a new breed of humans that are carefully watched by the government. Mick's definitely going to have his hands full.

My thoughts -
I'm going to say this right off the bat: I have an inner grammar nazi. I discovered it reading Harry Potter fanfiction. If an author made too many mistakes or made too many questionable choices, I gave myself permission to page back and find something else to read. It happened quite often with fanfiction. It happens less often with original fic, but that has it too. But with original fic, I do try to give more leeway. It's harder to create a whole world on your own than to write in someone else's world, as I am well aware. So when I started reading this and saw some of the issues Payne has in her writing (than instead of then most particularly comes to mind), I thought that this might be one of those stories I just couldn't finish. But her story is fascinating enough that it kept me reading. And I'm very glad I did.

This world and her characters are incredibly complex and rich, and I found myself drawn in by the idea of a genetic race created from a mutation that killed so much of the world. It wasn't something we saw, but rather saw the effect of in Toshi, who is neither because he is both. His story is heartbreaking, but in the long run ultimately triumphant, and the people he slowly surrounds himself with are just who he needs to make his world a better place. Through having them in his life, he becomes more confident, and can take the steps he knows needs to be taken.

Mick is interesting as well. He's a little mixed up, though he definitely doesn't show it at first. It's Toshi who helps him to open up, despite the fact that he has friends and family all around him. Together the two really do make a perfect team. Not so much brains and brawn, for they each have their own version of both, but a subtle mix of all sorts of things that each brings to the table that can help the other face the world and everything it has put them through. Together, they make an excellent team because they can help each other. This is a real relationship, unlike most romances, where things are so obviously imbalanced to one side or another. Very enjoyable to read.

I loved reading this story, and slowly learning about the I/S mutation and how it came to be. I also loved that both sides of Toshi's family are incredibly strong and powerful. Once he lets go of some of his fear and most of his insecurity, he really comes into his own, and you can see that he will definitely be a force to be reckoned with in years to come. Especially with Mick at his side.

Read it for the romance. Read it for the supernatural elements. Read it for the mystery. But definitely find yourself a copy of this and read it. It's free on Payne's blog. Definitely worth your time.

Warnings -
Drug use, non and dubious consensual sexual acts, mention of rape and torture, and murder.

Overall Recommendation -
Definitely one to read. I highly recommend it to those who enjoy anime-like settings and incubus/vampire type tales.

Link to the story - Blurring the Lines (Personal Blog)
Author Link - SA Payne (on Goodreads)
If you liked this story, try -

No comments:

Post a Comment