Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Review: Club Trinity by Minxie

Genre: Supernatural, crime
Elements: BDSM, vampires

Rating:
  • Characters - 4 - Great takes on the usual crime and vampire archetypes.
  • Setting - 5 - Excellently detailed. This feels like a place you could easily walk into and easily find your way around.
  • Plot - 5 - A fantastic melding of Crime, BDSM, and Supernatural elements.
  • Genre Elements - 5 - Not only does the crime feel interesting and realistic, but the BDSM elements are excellent, and she makes the Supernatural elements all her own.
  • Voice - 4 - The characters are very distinct, despite some scenes meant to tease with identity. It all works very well with the overall flow of the story.
  • Romance Elements - 4 - Highly inspiring. But then, I have a fondness for Vampires and their mates, whatever form they take.
  • Overall - 4.5 - An excellent story, and well worth reading if you like any of the genre elements listed above.
Basic story -
Someone's haunting the BDSM club in town, and Detective Zane Jeffries needs to find out who's doing it, but what he doesn't expect is the twists and turns this case will take.

My thoughts -
I was already a fan of Minxie's Harry Potter fic before I read Club Trinity. Even if I had not known her work, reading this story would have told me that it is the work of a talented writer. I hope in the end she finds a way to get it published, because it deserves to be. I'd love to read more stories about these characters. I want to read so much more about these vampires and the Lilim she created as an unusual addition to the vampire mythos. Most of all, I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

This isn't a time period I tend to prefer, but in Supernatural and BDSM stories, but it is something I'm willing to read. Especially when written by good writers like Minxie. Both are more likely to be set in modern day. Crime is also something I don't just seek out. But Minxie's style makes this story more than worth it.

I'm particularly fond of her take on vampires in this story. I don't want to into too much detail for fear of spoiling others, but she adds some fantastic details that I don't believe I've ever seen before. And she makes them not only work, but they feel real, especially in the context of this story.

Despite the fact that this is truly an amazing story, it's completely free online. For now, at least. As I said, I really do hope it gets published. And if it is, I will be first in line to buy it. It is definitely worth owning.

Warnings -
BDSM, violence, character death, and scary crime scenes. If you're not overly sensitive to those things, you'll probably be fine, as they're not horribly graphic, but still elements to be wary of if you have issues with any of them.

Overall Recommendation -
Definitely a read if you like crime stories, BDSM, or vampires. A highly unique fusion of all three.

Link to the story - Club Trinity (on AO3)
Author Link - Minxie (on AO3)
If you liked this story, try -

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review. It thrills me to know that you enjoyed it!

    And I'm working on Adrian's story as time allows. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading it! :)

      And you more than deserved it. It was a very inspiring story. ;D

      Delete