Saturday, August 9, 2014

Review: The Adorned by John Tristan

Genre: Fantasy
Elements: magic, tattoos, magical beings

Rating:

  • Characters - 4 - Though the story initially gets off to a slow start, once the characters are established, you can't help but be pulled along on their journey.
  • Setting - 5 - The world Tristan has created is fascinating and highly detailed. Enough for several more books of the same length. I'd love to know how the tattoo magic truly came about, and to see earlier incarnations of it.
  • Plot - 5 - The story itself was good, but some details of the plot felt like an afterthought. I would have liked a bit more time to really get to know this world before things began to fall apart.
  • Genre Elements - 5 - The tattoos really make this story what it is. Between learning the process, seeing how it is used, and what happens after the fallout, the story here is almost more about the tattoos than the characters. In a very good way. Tristan has woven a rich culture here that definitely deserves further examination.
  • Voice - 5 - The characters in the story are highly unique, and never once did I confuse one for another.
  • Romance Elements - 4 - The love story gets short shrift, coming second to the overall story of the main character and the world around him, which works quite well for this story.
  • Overall - 4.5 - A truly lovely story, and well recommended.
Basic story -
Etan is nearly penniless, and finds himself destitute in the big city after what little he has is stolen from him. What follows is a winding tale of a world very different from ours, where people are decorated for the pleasure of those in power.

My thoughts -
I read this close upon the heels of reading Kushiel's Dart, which I adored, but which did not have nearly enough male same-sex moments in it for my tastes. This read like a male version of that story, so I had to pick it up when I saw it on Amazon. While it wasn't as long or as tightly packed as Kushiel, it definitely was an excellent follow-up.

The world itself is incredibly rich and fascinating, and I would have loved to read more about it and how it came about. The rulers of the land (called Blooded) and how they got the powers they did. The origins of the tattoos and how it evolved from something only given to those closest to those in power to something used almost purely for entertainment value. The wars with the surrounding countries, and what they had once been like. The growing internal discontent of the populace of the land. All of it.

The romance in this is almost a side-line to the main character's story, which means it's slow to develop and really not the center focus of the story. Personally, I think that made it better, though it also means that there was very little of it in the story overall, since it wasn't a long book. But I'm glad it wasn't the main focus. It made the story more real in the end.

I would definitely love to read more in this world, though it seems Tristan has closed the chapter on this tale. Still, as I said above, there are plenty of threads I'd love to see written about. Perhaps other tales of love between Adorned and tattooer, or even Adorned and Blooded, when it happened. I'm still working on getting the rest of his books, so I don't know if any of the others are set in this world, but I have a feeling that either way, I'll enjoy them.

Warnings -
 Tattooing. If that's not your thing, particularly if it bothers you,  I wouldn't recommend this story. Also some (minor) slavery and people owning people in a few different ways. Also later on in the story is some pretty gruesome injury. But overall, it's a pretty safe read. Most things are only inferred when it comes to the dark stuff.

Overall Recommendation -
Definitely well worth reading. I recommend it to anyone who likes Fantasy, particularly those who have read Kushiel and enjoyed it but wanted more of Anafiel Delaunay and Alcuin.

Link to the story - The Adorned (on Goodreads)
Author Link - John Tristan (on Goodreads)
If you liked this story, try -

No comments:

Post a Comment