Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Review: The Prince's Boy by Cecilia Tan

Genre: Fantasy
Elements: magic, magical bonding, BDSM
Rating:

  • Characters - 4 - The archetypes Cecilia uses are very familiar to me, and make the characters that much easier to love. She's got a great selection of characters, all of which are unique and interesting.
  • Setting - 5 - Cecilia's world is quite extensive and fascinating. Kenet and Jorin's journeys take them all over this kingdom, and each location feels real to me, both in level of detail and in relation to what has come before.
  • Plot - 5 - The story she has written keeps you reading, and when it's over, you just want to read it all over again.
  • Genre Elements - 5 - Cecilia is a master of BDSM, as well as fantasy, and she doesn't skimp in detail of either.
  • Voice - 5 - All of the characters' voices are distinct and unique, and never once did I get them confused, regardless of how long it had been since I read the previous chapter.
  • Romance Elements - 5 - Kenet and Jorin's love is lovely to watch grow. You root for them from beginning to end.
  • Overall - 4.5 - One of my favorites, and highly recommended for those who love long romance and fantasy.
Basic story -
Prince Kenet is heir to the throne, and as such, untouchable. So he has a whipping boy. One he has chosen for himself. As he and Jorin grow older, and Kenet learns what a whipping boy is for, the two boys grow closer. But can a prince and a low-level servant truly be allowed to stay so close, or will the world conspire to tear them apart?

My thoughts -
I have known of Cecilia Tan for some time now, but this was her first original work that I had read. I was in no way disappointed. The characters were  immediately appealing and only grew more interesting as the story progressed. Never once did I feel bored while reading. She has a great touch for pulling you along, and knows just when to cut off a scene to keep you reading.

There are so many great characters in this story, and each of them has an important role. Even better, each has journies of their own and not one of them is quite the same in the end. Truly, you never quite know where the story will take you next, or how it could possibly end well, but it does.

One thing I love about Cecilia is how involved she is with her readers. She posts her stories on her blog first, so you can read as the story goes along. In fact, I have been meaning to buy myself this series so that I can read it on Kindle. I look forward to meeting Kenet and Jorin again, and discovering the things I have now forgotten, not to mention finding new things I missed the first time.

I'm certain it will be well worth the money, as soon as I can afford the expense.

Warnings -
BDSM; dubious consent in places, including a near rape; slavery and near-slavery, and abuse.

Overall Recommendation -
If you're a fan of strong fantasy, especially fantasy with BDSM elements, this is the story for you. It's great fun to read, and you will just fall in love with the characters.

Link to the story -The Prince's Boy (Goodreads) (Circlet Press - online for free, but buy it, guys, it's worth it)
Author Link - Cecilia Tan (Goodreads)
If you liked this story, try -

No comments:

Post a Comment