Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Review: Out There in the Night by Laura Baumbach

Genre: Supernatural
Elements: werewolves, bonding

Rating:

  • Characters - 4 - The characters themselves are fascinating, though they are a bit archetypical, particularly the Native characters.
  • Setting - 4 - Much of the detail of the were culture and the Alaskan medical outpost are great, but some of the details of the Native community doesn't quite ring true for this area.
  • Plot - 4 - The story is a good one, with the idea of were creatures claiming their mates, and just the danger of trying to survive in this wilderness during the winter.
  • Genre Elements - 3 - I wanted to enjoy this more than I did. There were flaws in the idea of the Native culture that really pulled me out of the story, and there wasn't quite enough explanation of the difference between the Native and Were cultures, or if the two are the same.
  • Voice - 4 - The characters are generally easy to tell apart, but a few are difficult to tell from each other.
  • Romance Elements - 4 - The Romance definitely works for me, though the two major romances are a little too similar for my tastes.
  • Overall - 3.5 - Enjoyable, if not perfect. A few flaws I really would have liked to see fixed, but I wouldn't mind seeing more in a similar tone.
Basic story -
Connor Jacey lives in Alaska, but he never suspected what might be in the wilds of his current home until he meets something he never believed existed.

My thoughts -
The first original Were story I've read in this genre. I really wanted to like it more than I did. I think if if the Were had not been Native (or at least not just Native), it might have worked better for me. I do not know if the Author has any Native roots, but she treated these Alaskan natives as though they were just Native American, but as far as I'm aware, they're pretty distinctly different from the tribes within the lower 48 states, just as the Hawaiian people are. It just feels as though her terminology is off, and I would have liked a bit more research done there.

I loved the idea of a tribe of Werewolves in Alaska that had been integrated into (or created from) a Native group there. I would have loved to learn more about how that happened, and what really triggers the change; anything more along those lines.

I also really enjoyed the mating idea, but then I love bonding stories, so this called to me very strongly on that front. I never had a problem with that aspect, though I don't think Connor questioned the idea quite enough for realism's sake. The other love story, of Connor's ex and another Native Were, seemed a bit tacked on and more about getting the ex out of the way than anything else, which was too bad, because I think that could have been cute, too, if it had been approached in a different way.

Overall, I did enjoy this story. There are definitely great aspects to it. I just felt it lacked in certain things. The plot worked very well, but some of the background aspects didn't quite live up to the idea I think the author was trying to convey.

Warnings -
Severe injury, and dubious consent.

Overall Recommendation -
A good read for Werewolf lovers. If you're reading it for the Native culture, I'd probably give it a pass.

Link to the story - Out There in the Night (on Goodreads)
Author Link - Laura Baumbach (on Goodreads)
If you liked this story, try -

No comments:

Post a Comment