Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Review: Blood & Ash by Kate Aaron

Genre: Fantasy, Supernatural
Elements: Fae, Vampires

Rating:

  • Characters - 4 - The variety of characters is limited, and it has the distinct flaw that most slash has of having far too limited number of female characters. The two main are quite nice, though.
  • Setting - 4 - An interesting world, though it could have done with a few more details of the physical world.
  • Plot - 3 - A bit too scattered and simplistic for what the Author was attempting, I think. Not horrible, just not living up to its own potential.
  • Genre Elements - 3 - Definitely not enough explanation here. And the modern world lining up with the fae world felt too abrupt. I would have liked more details on the relationships between the two worlds, though the explanation of how the Fae world came to be was very interesting.
  • Voice - 4 - The two main characters are mostly distinct, but the others are a little harder to tell apart.
  • Romance Elements - 3 - Too simple for my tastes. Not horrible, just too easy.
  • Overall - 3.5 - A good story that need a bit of tweaking to be great in an interesting world that I would have liked to learn a lot more about.
Basic story -
Ash is prince of the Faery Realm. Azrael is his new guardian. But can he protect him against the war that is coming?

My thoughts -
This is an interesting idea, but it felt a bit forced and unfinished to me. I wanted to enjoy it more than I did, but I think a bit of editing and more complexity to the story would have  helped.

There are some interesting ideas in this story. I love the love the implication of a fae world right next to ours, though it was never completely explained. I would have liked more history on that, and more detail about how the two worlds have grown apart.I also would have liked more information on all the different types of beings, and their interrelations, though that was explained better. The Fae world seemed fascinating, and I would have liked to meet more Fae characters, too.

Ash is the sort of character I love, and Azrael seemed interesting, too. Even Ash's best friend. I just never got enough time to really enjoy them before things changed to a love story. I would much have preferred a good deal more time between attraction and falling in love. I also would have liked more time between Ash and his father and brother.

The abduction seemed interesting, but far too easily accomplished. I'd have liked attempts before they managed to get Ash. Azrael seemed to do nothing but talk to Ash about how they couldn't be together. And his story about his human lover seemed to go nowhere. I would have liked some meaning there.

Overall? I just wanted more time taken to explore and explain this world before it became a love story, and more about the two main characters as well. 

Warnings -
Vampirism, implication of torture, but all very mild.

Overall Recommendation -
An intriguing world, but flawed. An acceptable adventure read, if you like Vampires and Fae. Not one of my favorites. I probably won't be reading the rest of the series.

Link to the story - Blood & Ash (on Goodreads)
Author Link - Kate Aaron (on Goodreads)
If you liked this story, try -

No comments:

Post a Comment